26 October 2020
The Premier made the announcement that we’ve all been hoping for today and that is that effective Wednesday, 28 October, building and construction in the Metropolitan Melbourne area will move to the next stage in the road map – the ‘Open with a CovidSafe Plan’ stage, though the details are a little different to what was initially released.
Given that we have been removed from the “high risk” category, there is no longer a requirement to have a High Risk CovidSafe Plan, though you (and we) are still required to have a CovidSafe Plan.
With respect to small scale construction, including renovation of unoccupied homes, the following changes will be effective as of this Wednesday:
- Worker number limits will be lifted (there will no longer be a requirement to have 5 workers on site)
- Restrictions on movement among sites for workers and specialist contractors will be lifted
- Pre-contract works on occupied homes (such as site measurements), can occur, where it is possible to create a physical barrier between workers and occupants (I.e. barriers to manage airflow and the risk of possible infection), or the occupier can temporarily vacate the premises for the duration of the works
With respect to renovation of occupied homes:
- Great news! Renovations on occupied homes can commence from 12am this Wednesday.
- These works must be done where it is possible to create a physical barrier between workers and occupants (I.e. barriers to manage airflow and the risk of possible infection), or the occupier can temporarily vacate the premises for the duration of the works. We will provide more information about the requirements for physical barriers as soon as it is available.
As of 8 November 2020
It is also understood that the 25km travel limit in Metropolitan Melbourne will be removed after 8 November and we will have the ability and freedom to move between Metropolitan Melbourne and Regional Victoria after 8 November. Further, the existing requirements for worker permits will remain in place until 8 November after which point, they will no longer be required. In order to operate, all businesses must have a CovidSafe Plan and follow the industry guidelines.
Stay vigilant, stay safe.